Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blog Post 8


This is How We Dream:

In this video, Richard Miller made many good points. He showed some ways that technology can be incorporated in Language Arts, which really interested me because I had been curious about that prior to the video. He believes tat educators should discuss their ideas freely. I think this is very important in education! Teachers need to share their ideas in order to better their teachings and help students advance. While I do understand and agree that technology can certainly speed up process time, I am not sure that I like the idea of almost everything being done by video. Now I have to wonder if my education, or parts of it, were a complete waste of time. Maybe that is exageration, and I'm sure that it is, but it does worry me. I think that this idea could work though. Everyone, students, teachers, administrators, would have to adjust to this new technological education. We would all have to learn the types of technology and how each can be used and incorporated into education and the curriculum. Basically, in order for this idea to work, everyone has to want it to work and be willing to actually DO the work.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 For Dummies:


EDM 310 For Dummies made me laugh, but it also confused me. I am not exactly sure what the point was in making this video? I really am not sure as to what specific things I would want to create a video about. I have a wide range of interests, but I have a hard time coming up with something that I think anyone else would actually want to watch.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

I think the argument in this video is absolutely correct. The students that we teach will be using so many different technology devices out of school and they are not allowed to use anything but mainly books, paper, and pencils in school. The world needs to know that technology is a good thing and everyone needs to be willing to open up to the idea. It seems that the students have an overall interest in technology so why not use it to our advantage. If technology will make students more willing to learn then we as teachers should definitely take advantage of the opportunity.

The Secret Powers of Time by Philip Zambardo and Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
by David Pink

These two videos were basically talking about society. In "The Secret Powers of Time" it was talking about how as Americans we focus so much on getting things done that we forget about friends, family, and sleep. This video was basically saying that we are way too stressed out and it is pointing this fact out so that hopefully we will change.

In "The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us" it was talking about how when offered a large incentive our work performance goes down. Is this really surprising to you though? Not to me. Clearly people do way better when given the option to just take the pressure off of doing a assignment. The study shows that is was not just the case for Americans but world wide. I feel these messages described the growth in people's education and their drive for success in many ways.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog post was very interesting. I agree with you when you were discussing the video learn to change, change to learn. Kids in today's society are use to using technology everywhere they go except the classroom and there is a major problem with this. They are not allowed to use it in the classroom and this could actually be a great place for them to use it. Whatever helps make teaching more efficient, I'm all in! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I think we now live in an era when people listen and watch rather than read and write. Therefore we need to help people to create rather than just consume video and audio products. Dr. Miller's vision makes that possible.

    You need to turn your creative button to the on position and address issues like the Chipper series did.

    ReplyDelete