Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blog Post #7



Randy Pausch Last Lecture:

The opening to Randy Pausch's lecture was extremely moving and it really inspired me how this man acted. I truly admire him for his strength and ability to encourage people through his story. It amazes me how someone who has literally been given a death sentence can be so positive and uplifting. This would be the most horrible situation to be in but this man somehow finds a way to make this lecture positive and he acts like nothing is wrong.

In his lecture, Pausch tells us how to achieve your dreams and how to help others acheive their dreams. Pausch states that it is not so much about how to achieve your dreams, but more so how to live your life. I really like this theory and I will apply this to my lifestyle because I did find this very interesting. I would like to think that I will be able to live my life the way this man does. While I do think that this is much easier said than done, I do believe that this is a great quote to live by.

Pausch believes that teachers have the ability to help others achieve their dreams. I absolutey agree with this statement, teachers are a very important part in students' lives and dreams. I found this even more inspirational because I am in the process of becoming a teacher. The goal of my life is to make a difference in a childs' life and it's amazing to hear that this can actually happen. I have always said that is the main reason that I want to become a teacher and simply knowing that it can be a reality and not just a dream is very encouraging for me.

The technique that stood out the most to me was head fake. This is when you make a child think that they are learning one thing, when really they are learning something completely different. He states that these are extremely important for learning and they are everywhere, I certainly agree with him. I really like this technique and I think that it would be very useful in an elementary classroom. Using games to help children learn could be an example of this technique.

2 comments:

  1. I too was inspired by Mr. Randy Pausch. He truly changed my entire attitude when I listened to his lecture. His lecture was so positive and so uplifting. I also really liked how he talked about his childhood dreams. I especially liked when he mentioned that teachers help children achieve their dreams. Teachers have a very important impact on children. You make a good point about the headfake. I thought this was very interesting as well although I did not mention it in my comment. I really think that your example of games in the classroom will be a very good and useful technique at the elementary level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy Puasch's attitude is what I want every teach to have about education and life! He has been such a great influence on me, and I hope he will be to you also.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete