Monday, February 7, 2011

Blog # 3
















Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

I thought that this video was amazing. It really sums up the college experience and the stress that many students have throughout college. While my college career may not be summed up completely by this video, many of the things stated were accurate. I am currently a full-time student and I am not working right now because I just don't think I would have time for it. I will not be in debt because I am fortunate enough to have a full scholarship but I can imagine how stressful not having enough money can be. I will not be in a profession that does not exist today however I hope there will be changes made to education as we know it. While my life may be different, I do understand many of the things in this video.

It’s Not About the Technology:

I completely agree that technology is important, but it is not where teaching begins. In order for technology to even be used in a useful way, teachers have to teach what is laid out in front of them. There are new theories and skills and tools that many teachers are not aware of and therefore these don't get passed on for their students benefits. I think that it is very important for teachers to be learners, not just while they are obtaining their degree, but throughout their entire career. I love the way Hines compares teaching with the physics principle of work, you can get up and lecture all day long, but if no students have actually learned anything, then what good have you done? Technology will not be effective without a good teacher.

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher? :

I thought this post was interesting and made me think. With technology playing such a huge role in our society, and this role growing every day, being a technologically litterate teacher is extremely important. If you are a technologically illiterate teacher then new forms of education would not get passed down to your students if you don't know how to use it. I think every teacher should be able to use new technology that would benefit their students, if it is benefiting your students then it is benefiting you. How can we as teachers teach something if we ourselves do not know, or are not willing to learn? We as teachers and future teachers have to remember every day that we are preparing our students for their future… not tomorrow. The future is technology so therefore you should know how to use it!

Gary's Social Media Count:

I would never have thought that technology has such a huge role in our society, but the numbers don't lie. As a future teacher, this tells me that I have to do everything that I can to become technologically literate and do everything that I can to include technology in my classroom. I am currently not technologically litterate but I am glad I am taking EDM310 class because it has already opened my mind up to new ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Bailey,

    I agree whole-heartedly that we as educators must be learners as well! I might have to borrow your statement that "we are preparing our students for their future…not tomorrow." The basic skills still have to be taught, however. Although technology can definitely be integrated in K-5, I see that being the most important years to still learn what has been taught for centuries: reading, writing and arithmetic. I'm on the fence as to whether or not typing skills should replace writing skills. I personally have terrible handwriting skills so no one is missing out there! :) I guess I need to do some more research into the benefits of being able to write verses type. I'm a secondary education major and hope that my students will be able to type as much as possible so I haven't really thought too much about writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think that it is very important for teachers to be learners, not just while they are obtaining their degree, but throughout their entire career." You are soon going to learn, if you haven't already, that this statement is the central them of the class. However, you are also going to see that EDM310 promotes the idea that the primary means of learning is DOING. So teachers must always be learning, and APPLYING what they "learn".

    ReplyDelete