Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blog Post # 6

The Networked Student:

I cannot believe how much technology is available to us today that wasn't available when I was a child! It is astonishing, and a little scary, that students even as young as elementary students are using this technology to such measures. This video demonstrated the student using only some of the technology available to him, and yet it is still more than I knew before this class began. This video really opened my eyes to new risings in technology. This question was asked " Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" The video gives many reasons, but one that it does not give that I think is a big factor is the fact that if the student did not have someone assigning them work, the likelyhood that the student would be doing it is very low. I am a student and I know from experience that someone has to tell me what to do in order for me to do it. The sad truth is that many students do not learn about the braod range of technology until they are forced to. For instance EDM310 has really opened my eyes to new things that I would have never known about if I was to be doing this on my own. Only when students are forced do they finally realize the importance and magnitude of technology.


A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment:

After watching this video, I really found myself wishing that I could've been taught this way! It absolutely amazes me the things that take place now, because of technology. Technology plays a huge role in life and in schooling these days.

Smartboards?

Both of the assigned readings state that smartboard products are completely useless and do not help in the classroom at all. Although I must say that I do not agree with them, I have found a website that has nothing but good things to say about Smartboard technology. You can check it out at http://www.teacherslovesmartboards.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bailey,

    You as a very important question:[This question was asked " Why does the networked student even need a teacher?"]

    Well this is an interesting topic. We all know that the guidance and helpfulness of a teacher can never be substituted. I think teachers are very necessary but, as Dr. Strange has said many times: he wants to be known as an educational guide, not necessarily a teacher.

    But, teaching is not about telling someone how to do something. Teaching is helping students find their own way and helping them to explore and gain knowledge.

    Like Dr. Strange pointed out in a post on the class blog, learning is not about gathering facts and memorizing them.

    I feel like you could have said a little more about the 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment. Will you teach this in your classroom? Is it worth the time in your classroom?

    Keep on blogging!

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete