Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blog Post # 4

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? :

     I really loved reading this post! Dr. McLeod turns this very important subject into something humorous and sarcastic and makes it interesting. I agree with this argument completely! He gives his kids the opportunity to become technologically litterate and all children need this opportunity.Technology is not going anywhere but forward and you shouldn't put your children behind because you are afraid or unwilling to use technology. All peple need to know how to be technologically litterate. Scott McLeod is the Associate Professor of Educational Administration at Iowa State University and the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE). He is also the co-creator of the Did You Know? (Shift Happens) videos.

The iSchool Initiative:

     I personally don't own an iTouch, but many of my friends do. Due to the fact that I do not have one myself, I had absolutely no clue that hardly any of these tools are available. I think that the iSchool program sounds like it might actually work. Not only would this program be easy and much more organized for both students and teachers, but as stated, it would be much more cost efficient.
Imagine all the money you could save with our tiny budgets in schools today. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be tried in schools. Overall, I loved this video. I think that this is a very innovative way of thinking about school and I think that more schools should at least give this program a shot!


The Lost Generation:
     Wow! The first 30 seconds of this video I was like why am I being asked to watch this. I loved how everything she said, she was able to reverse and make it positive. I thought this technique was very interesting and eye opening. This is something that all people should live by, and everyone should watch this video!!!

Eric Whitacer's Virtual Choir:

     My first reaction to this was how incredibe! I found this amazing! The fact that every single one of these choir members was on their own computer, in their own home (or where ever they were) just completely blows my mind that this is even possible. I have never even heard of this being possible. This is just amazing to me!
Teaching In The 21st Century:
While watching this video I began to realize that what I have been learning about the future of education not only applies to my life but also to what I will teach as a future educator. Teaching in the 21st century means as teachers in this century, we cannot simply apply old methods of frontal learning and memorization and neglect crucial information. We as teachers need to change some of the methods of teaching in order to engage our students with a hands-on, approach.

2 comments:

  1. Thoughtful. Well written. Well done. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bailey,

    I think that your postings were very thoughtful. It is very interesting that you are willing to use iSchool and you have never owned an iPod. Being an open learner is what teachers should do, and I think that you are someone who is willing to try new digital tools.

    ReplyDelete